Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Day 10 - Crafty Reuse



It's a grocery store dilemma. Buy the conventional, caged-hen, bummer eggs in an easily recyclable paperboard egg carton or buy the organic, free-range, fabulous eggs in the non-recyclable plastic carton. Why do they do this to us? Don't the egg people know that the people who buy organic eggs are most likely also going to care about the eco-friendly-ness of the packaging? Come on people!! I used to not have to concern myself with such issues as I had Val and Betty, two lovely hens who laid packaging-free eggs right in my backyard. But Betty, sadly, went to chicken heaven and Val, to cure her lonesome-ness, went to live with her chicken friends Tulip and Iris at Kris' house. So now I have to deal with my egg and egg carton issues in the grocery store each week (or become a vegan or get more chicken pets).

Luckily, the plastic egg cartons are sort of like the Pringles container. So many reuse possibilities!! This carton begged to become a jewelry kit for a little girl. The inside of the lid can be decorated with fun paper (which doesn't show up too well in the photo) and the double carton on the inside folds out to become little cups for beads and string, plus extra empty cups for sorting beads in the jewelry-making process. Personally, I think this would make a very fun gift for a kid. Decorate it, fill it with beads of the kid's favorite color and tie it up with a bow. Let the fun begin! (I'm still searching for the perfect egg supplier though. Organic, free-range, local, and packaged in paperboard. Anyone know where I can find this?)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Courtney and others

Last I checked, both Hartland Market (Hartland) and Good Harvest (Pewaukee) both carry local organic free-range eggs. The ones at Good Harvest are in bulk so you can bring and reuse your own egg containers.

Kris

Jill said...

Piggly Wiggly just started carrying a new line of eggs from JRS Country Acres, a farm in Lake Mills (so it's sort of local). The eggs are free range, but not organic, and they're packaged in the yucky styrofoam containers. However, they cost only $2.59 per dozen, which is significantly cheaper than the organics (which I believe are currently running $3.79/dozen at Hartland Market). I just sent an e-mail to JRS asking if they follow any organic practices and if they could be persuaded to switch to the paperboard cartons. Let's see if I hear back from them!